Director of Career Services
Date Posted: 11/08/2013
Employer: University of Wyoming College of Law
Location: Laramie, WY
Job Type: At Will
The University of Wyoming College of Law seeks a dynamic and creative Director for its Office of Career Services & Professional Development who is committed to supporting student success and actively advancing best practices designed to increase student engagement, enhance career preparation, and assess learning outcomes. The Director will also provide strategic leadership, program development, innovative administration, and help cultivate student self-confidence, competencies, and connections that will lead to personally and professionally satisfying futures upon graduation. Specific duties include:
- Enhancing the University of Wyoming College of Law’s Career Services brand, visibility, and value to internal and external constituents
- Managing professional development and career services activities at the highest standards of quality.
- Developing a close relationship with law students and providing one-on-one counseling on all issues related to professional development.
- Building and nurturing relationships with current and prospective employers in a wide range of state, regional, national, and international legal settings.
- Identifying and cultivating new placement opportunities with prospective employers, including face-to-face meetings whenever possible.
- Creating and delivering workshops aimed at providing students with information on diverse topics related to their career development.
- Designing a calendar of career, professional development, and educational programs for a student body with diverse goals and interests.
- Proposing and implementing effective data collection, analysis, and reporting systems that track appropriate performance measures. This includes preparing reports for the Dean, faculty, and others that accurately reflect the effectiveness and efficiency of the career services activity.
- Developing short-term and long-term strategies to address trends and changes in the legal marketplace.
- Increasing quality internship opportunities, on-campus and regional interviewing programs, and employment outcomes.
- The Director will also help develop and monitor the department’s long-range strategic plan, manage a growing operational budget, and serve as a champion, advocate, role model, and mentor for University of Wyoming College of Law students.
- Participates and assists in developing the Law School’s marketing and communications on career issues, including web and print materials;
- Works collaboratively with other offices and personnel in the College of Law
This is a twelve-month at-will position, and the start date is negotiable. A juris doctor degree from an accredited law school is preferred. We seek candidates who are outgoing, flexible, and entrepreneurial, and who are adept at teamwork and collaboration. The Career Services Office maintains a creative and collegial atmosphere and receives support from faculty and administration that makes it a satisfying work environment.
Administrative experience together with knowledge of career services, marketing, legal markets, and databases would be very helpful. The ideal candidate will also have strong computer skills (including proficiency with presentation and database software and demonstrated aptitude utilizing social media), excellent writing and oral communication skills, high energy, creative thinking, strong interpersonal skills, and an understanding of the market for legal talent in multiple geographic regions. Work-related travel will be necessary.
Founded in 1886, the University of Wyoming is the only public university in Wyoming. UW enrolls more than 13,000 students in its baccalaureate, graduate, and professional education programs. UW combines major-university benefits and small-school advantages. As one of the “best value” and smaller law schools in the country (enrollment of around 225 law students), the UW College of Law offers the unique opportunity to obtain hands-on practical experience in a legal environment and close interaction with leading faculty. The school’s alumni include federal and state judges, elected officials, business leaders, corporate counsel, partners of major law firms, and dedicated public servants. Set against the backdrop of Wyoming’s scenic mountains and high plains, the UW provides world-class research and teaching facilities. The main campus is in Laramie, approximately two hours north of Denver by car.
To apply, submit a letter of application, resume, and references to: Megan Barber. Electronic submissions are preferred; please e-mail MBarber@uwyo.edu. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, please apply by December 10, 2013. For more information about the UW or UW College of Law, we invite you to visit www.uwyo.edu or www.uwyo.edu/law.
The University’s policy has been, and will continue to be, one of nondiscrimination, offering equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their color, religion, national origin, disability, age veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, political belief, or other status protected by state and federal statutes or University Regulations.
The University of Wyoming is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search, employment and motor vehicle history. Offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of the background check.