The Energy & Natural Resources Section has its own Facebook page – take a look!
This section of the Wyoming State Bar exists to encourage the interest and participation of lawyers in the field of energy and natural resources law in the State of Wyoming. Consistent with its mission to provide continuing legal education and professional advancement of lawyers practicing in the field of energy and natural resources, the section organizes regular CLE-accredited presentations and other events addressing important and emerging legal issues in this area of law.
This section is open to all members of the Wyoming State Bar. If you would like to join the Energy and Natural Resources Section, please click here. Section dues are $25 per fiscal year.
We are always looking for volunteers who wish to contribute written materials or to present on topics relevant to the practice of law in the energy and natural resources industry. Please contact any of the officers of the section if you wish to submit a topic or article for consideration.
Current Officers of the Section
- Darin Scheer, Chair
- Bailey Schreiber, Chair-Elect
- Melissa Lyon, Secretary-Treasurer
- Lori McMullen, Past Chair
- Brian Annes
- Erin Murphy
- Casey Terrell
Schedule of Upcoming CLE Events
- December 11, 2019 – What in the Federal Title is This?
Past CLE Materials & Presentations
- Low-Carbon Energy Law Policy: What Wyoming Lawyers Need to Know (Kipp Coddington and Casey Terrell – October 2, 2019)
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems: The Law Around Drones (Wesley Wright – October 2, 2019)
- 2019 ENR Section Summit (June 13, 2019)
- Federal Units and Second Chances: Federal Secondary Recovery Units and How They Differ From Exploratory Units (J. David Chase – April 30, 2019)
- Nuts and Bolts of the Wyoming Royalty Payment Act and Other Emerging Issues in Oil and Gas Development in Wyoming (Kris Koski – May 11, 2018)
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems – The Law Around Drones (Greg Kunkle and Wes Wright – March 13, 2018)
- Ethical Challenges for the ENR Attorney (Hon. Thomas W. Rumpke, Mark W. Gifford and Erin K. Murphy – February 22, 2017)
- Who’s Lease Trumps, Oil or Coal? (Peter C. Forbes – January 25, 2017) CLICK HERE to download this CLE program for self-study credit.
- Expand Your Title Tookit and Client Base: Mineral Title Curative and Quiet Title Actions (Sarah Sorum and Pat Tolley – November 29, 2016)
- Keeping Up: What Wyoming Practitioners Need to Know About Recent Energy & Environmental Regulations (Keith S. Burron, David D. Freudenthal, Katie Schroder, Alexander K. Obrecht and Nancy E. Vehr – September 15, 2016)
- Getting to Know Your Regulatory Community: Intro to Wyoming’s Air Quality Division (Mark Watson – August 10, 2016)
- ENR Section Summit (Lawrence J. MacDonnell, Rob Mathes, Tara Righetti, Jason A. Robison and Eric Waeckerlin – July 28, 2016) PLEASE NOTE: Program materials for all four programs are included in the link.
- Getting to Know Your Regulatory Community: An Overview and Update from Wyoming’s Oil & Gas Conservation Commission (Mark Watson – July 19, 2016)
- Mining Law in the West (Steven P. Ruffatto – January 20, 2016)
- Rockies Oil, Rockies Gas – Where in the World Are We? (Jack Ekstrom – February 18, 2015)
- Mitigating the Effects of a Potential Sage Grouse Listing on Landowners Using a Candidate Conservation Agreement with Assurances “CCAA” (David Willms – August 12, 2015)
- The Plight of the Packgoat: Legal Issues concerning Removal of Domestic Livestock from Public Lands Across the West (Andrew A. Irvine, P.C. – June 25, 2015)
Past Wyoming Lawyer Articles
- December 2011 – Is Wyoming in Need of an Energy Policy? Sage-Grouse Conservation Strategy. Environmental Law Update. Federal Lease Suspensions.
- February 2012 – Mineral Development Done Right: Informed Engagement and a Sustained Commitment to Build Capacity for the Future by Lynne J. Boomgaarden
- February 2014 – Blue Skies Ahead
- December 2017 – Fueling Wyoming’s Future – entire issue sponsored by the ENR Section